- About the program
- Programs we Offer
Step IT Up America, a UST Global program designed to train and employ women, minorities, and veterans in technology careers. IT provides individuals who typically do not have any formal technology training with the skills they need to become technology professionals. The program is uniquely designed for diverse talent groups, envisioning their next career move, and is free to the students, in fact, UST pays the students to go thru the training.
There is a need to build and improve the quality and scale of individuals to minimize the severe gap in the talent pipeline. Late 2013, UST Global launched its proprietary workforce training program Step IT Up America to bridge this skill gap and provide resources from an untapped market of new IT professionals.
With ‘Step IT Up’, UST Global invests in recruiting, training and employing women and veterans who typically do not have any formal technology training. The program equips graduates with technology skills to launch successful IT careers and provides companies a dynamic compliment to their workforce planning and diversity initiatives.
Information Technology and other STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) occupations are the biggest job creators both in America and across the world. Women and Veterans are severely underrepresented in these positions. Corporations are under pressure to lower costs and implement technology quickly and eﬃciently, and yet the opportunities are concentrated in a small number of sectors and geographies.
We believe this can be changed. It is incumbent on Corporate America to help make this happen. UST is investing in recruiting, training and employing women and Veterans. The participants go through an intense 90-day proven accelerated training program across targeted and needed IT disciplines. This training also includes mentoring as well as soft skills and presentation skills development. Upon successful completion of the program, UST will hire the graduates as IT Consultants.
Key Highlights of the Program
- Since its inception in 2013, more than 8,000 women/veterans/minorities have registered for ‘Step IT Up’
- Step IT Up America is now a national approved Apprenticeship Program by the U.S. Department of Labor
- Those who are selected go through intensive training on several aspects of IT to include, but not limited to: Java. .Net, Python and COBOL Programming, Cybersecurity, Mainframe, Robotic Process Automation, Business Analysis, Scrum Master, Quality Assurance, and Project Coordination.
- More than 800 associates have been trained as a part of the program which serves a demography that has been traditionally under-represented in the technology field. Eight-five percent have been hired directly by UST clients. More than forty corporations have partnered with SIUA successfully deploying graduates from the program, 85% of which are Fortune 500 companies. 68% have come back for multiple batches of resources.
Powered by technology, inspired by people, we create change that reaches far and wide. UST can help you in the greater cause of transforming lives, training employees, and creating a competitive task force. You can now equip them with the technological skills to launch successful IT careers.
LEVERAGE OUR SKILLSET, METHODOLOGY, EXPERIENCE. DESIGN YOUR CUSTOM PROGRAM. CHANGE LIVES
- Core Courses
- Digital Courses
- Java Developer Course
The SIUA Java course introduces object oriented programming skills using Java. This course covers Core Java, Databases and Web Application Development. Participants learn the concepts in a classroom setting and practice using hands-on exercises, case studies and projects.
At the end of the course, participants will be able to design, build, test and deploy basic Java based web applications using standard development environment.
With sound fundamentals on object oriented programming, Core Java and database concepts, participants can build on this to specialize in any of the existing Java based development stacks or leverage current skills to expand to other programming languages and environments.
Course duration is between 90 to 120 days depending on the customization required for specific programs.
- Business Analyst Course
The SIUA BA course introduces business analyst skills in line with the "BABOK" standards for the practice of business analysis. This course prepares participants in understanding the underlying competencies and supportive techniques required to function as a business analyst. The course explores key concepts and knowledge areas like performing strategic analysis, requirements gathering, managing stakeholders, solution definition etc.
At the end of the course, participants will be able to work with business functions in understanding, analyzing and documenting their requirements.
With some experience and a little bit of self-learning participants can attempt the IIBA certification exam as the course covers the key knowledge areas as per BABOK.
Course duration is around 70 days.
- Software Testing Course
The SIUA Software testing course introduces software testing concepts such as analyzing and understanding requirement, test planning, test design, test development, bug tracking and reporting. Participants start with learning how to effectively understand and analyze requirements from a tester’s perspective. They also learn and practice formal test design techniques, test case development and test case execution. This course is taught in an iterative fashion going through the testing life cycle that builds on the previous iteration. Each iteration use a lot of hands-on exercises with a small project at the end. Although the primary focus is on manual testing, automation frameworks and automation testing tools are introduced at the end, depending on the specific course requirement.
At the end of the course, participants will have a very good understanding of the testing life cycle. They will be able to analyze requirements, design test cases, execute and report defects. They will be able to use at least one tool for defect reporting and testing life cycle management. Depending on the specific course, they may also be able to write automation test scripts using Selenium.
With a little bit of self-preparation participants will be able to appear for the ISTQB QA certification examination as most of the key concepts are covered in the course. They can also move into a role automation testing expert after gaining experience in an automation testing tool.
Course duration is around 90 days.
- Data Analyst Course
The SIUA Data Analyst course introduces relational database systems, data management and data governance concepts. The course covers fundamentals of Oracle RDBMS, basic data management using PL/SQL. Participants are introduced to concepts in data modeling, data governance and data profiling.
At the end of the course, participants will have a very good understanding of Oracle RDBMS. They will be able to create simple data models from requirements and implement basic SQL applications using PL/SQL. They will have a good understanding of data governance roles and will be able to assist in monitoring data quality.
As the course covers a variety of data management topics, participants will have several avenues open for them to advance their career. They can further their learning and career as a PL/SQL application developer or choose to go further in one of the data modeling or data governance roles.
Course duration is around 120 days.
- Network Operations
The SIUA Network Operations course covers the necessary skills for Network operations Center personnel. The course with basic computer hardware and operating systems. Participants are introduced to basic operations and administration of Linux and Windows. The course also covers fundamentals of networking – including networking topologies, protocols, switching, routing etc. and basic concepts in security. They are also exposed ITIL concepts.
At the end of the course, participants will have very good understanding of computer networking. They will also know how to configure and monitor basic network infrastructure. They will also be able to function as an entry level person in a NOC with the ability to monitor, create and work on events/tickets.
As this course covers a lot of networking concepts, participants can attempt certifications like Network+. With the strong foundations on basic networking, participants can further explore areas of Cybersecurity, Network application testing, Network application development etc.
Course duration is around 80 days.
- Cyber Security
The SIUA Cyber Security course covers the necessary skills for an entry level Security operations Center personnel. The course starts with basic computer hardware and operating systems. Participants are introduced to basic operations and administration of Linux and Windows. The course covers fundamentals of networking – including networking topologies and protocols. They will also learn about information security concepts, different types of information security threats and counter measures, security assessments and penetration testing. They are also exposed incident tracking, reporting and ITIL concepts.
At the end of the course, participants will have very good understanding of information security. They will know how monitor, track and respond to security incidents as an entry level person in a Security Operations Center.
There are several certification options available for graduates of this course – e.g. Security+. As Cybersecurity is a very promising field there are several opportunities for specialization.
Course duration is around 80 days.
Let us know what you are looking.
Customize your program
Programs we Offer
Let us know more about yourself
- Student Testimonial
- Customer Testimonial
- Event videos
- CEO Interview
SIUA Boston student Interviews
Ebony Tiggs, Step IT Up America, Chicago
April Blount, Step IT Up America, Atlanta
Candyce Lewis, Step IT Up America, Atlanta
Natalie Frazier, Step IT Up America, Atlanta
Step IT Up America, Atlanta Inauguration 2013
Sajan Pillai, CEO of UST Global, at Step IT Up America, Atalanta
Step IT Up America, Chicago Inauguration 2014
Step IT Up America, Philadelphia Inauguration 2014
Step IT Up America, Detroit Inauguration 2015
Creating a New Era of Social Capital by Sajan Pillai, CEO of UST Global
What is Step IT Up America? by Sajan Pillai, CEO of UST Global
How does the Step IT UP America program work? by Sajan Pillai, CEO of UST Global
SIUA Scrum Overview
- Kansas City
- Akamai is conducting a class of ladies, minority men and women and veteran men and women that will graduate early Feb 2017. This class has been in session for 90-teach days and was trained to the client’s specifications in Quality Assurance Testing
- Staples is conducting a class of Veterans that will graduate early Feb 2017. This class has followed a 70-teach day curriculum and will graduate Cyber Security Analyst.
- State Street graduated a class of SIUA ladies – 2016 and has plans to conduct another class in 2017.
- Massachusetts Governor Baker visited the recent Akamai Technical Academy 2.0 class and was very happy to know that this type of training is putting so many to work in technology in his state.
- Walmart recently announced that they will train 400+ SIUA Associates in 2017 in various disciplines.
- Discover has committed to a few graduates from the Veterans class that is being conducted in Boston. SIUA Associates will relocate to Chicago IL for this client request.
- Walgreens is finalizing plans for a 2017 SIUA cohort.
- Mayor Ram Emanuel – has requested that hundreds/thousands are trained via the SIUA program in the Chicagoland area.
- Comerica Bank graduated (Q3 2016) Veterans that were trained in COBOL/Mainframe technology. The client subsequently trained the Veterans on Hogan technology.
- Comerica Bank has requested an additional class of COBOL/Mainframe Developers; this group along with several additional clients will comprise this cohort for mid-2017.
- Vice-President Joe Biden visited with the SIUA Program in Detroit and has been a strong proponent of a training program that puts US citizens to work in a thriving field.
- Cigna has requested a SIUA class for Q1 – 2017
- State Street graduated a SIUA class in 2016 and has plans for future classes throughout their system.
- Vanguard graduated (Q3 2016) COBOL/Mainframe Developers as well as, Java Developers.
- Xerox has committed to a few graduates from the Veterans class that is being conducted in Boston. SIUA Associates will relocate to Rochester NY for this client request.